21 Jun RESEARCH PAPER: Power / Performance Determinism
Today’s demanding workloads and complex environments leave businesses looking for every ounce of available performance from their systems. While CPU vendors strive to deliver the highest level of performance at all times, CPU manufacturing processes leave some variability that prevents vendors from capitalizing on every last drop of performance in an individual CPU. Because CPU vendors align their outputs around standardized curves, some individual performance upside could be sacrificed to meet a broader marketing model. Through power and performance determinism, AMD now enables IT to better align CPU choices to the exact needs of the workload, whether it requires a specific performance level or whether the desire is to capture every last ounce of performance from the CPU’s available headroom.
You can download the paper here.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Today’s Customer Needs
- Manufacturing Variability Can Unlock Potential
- Workload Variances Drive Processor Profiles
- Determinism Modes Can Drive Datacenter Flexibility
- MI&S Perspective On Power Determinism
- Call to Action
- Figure 1: Processor P-States & Performance Headroom
- Figure 2: The Performance & Power Modes For AMD EPYC