23 Apr RESEARCH PAPER: Cleaning Up The Industrial IOT (IIOT) Edge
One of the most critical challenges to navigate when designing, developing, and deploying Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) solutions is the mish-mash of standards that must be comprehended to connect all the things. The IIoT environment never comprehended ubiquitous connectivity and is comprised of countless tools, development and operating environments, and connectivity standards. Combine these factors with an infinite number of potential industrial use cases across a myriad of vertical markets, and developing solutions that can quickly provide return on investment becomes a nightmare. How then do we get consistency or standardization to allow developers to deploy working IoT solutions quickly and easily while still allowing platform, hardware, and service providers to differentiate and monetize their value-add?
You can download the paper here.
- The Miss-Mash of Industrial IoT
- Scoping The Problem
- Introducing EdgeX Foundry
- What’s In It For The EdgeX Foundry Project Members?
- Value-Added Software/IoT Platform Vendors
- Security Providers
- Silicon, Hardware, and Operating System (OS) Vendors
- Services Providers
- What’s In It For The Industry?
- Call To Action
- Figure 1: The Mish-Mash of IIoT
- Figure 2: The IIoT Edge
- Figure 3: The EdgeX Foundry Project Architecture
- Figure 4: Tiered Deployment of EdgeX Foundry
- EnOcean Alliance
- Linux Foundation
- OPC Foundation
- Open Connectivity Foundation
- Thread Group
- Zigbee Alliance